Saturday, May 11, 2013

The Compartmentalization Conundrum: pt. 3: Shedding the Muzzle

For so long I've suppressed so much of who I really am because I thought it was the only way to have even the barest of a social life.  Sadly, too, there were real constraints on me professionally which kept me having to maintain a public persona, which is a really weird activity at best, and at its worst, is soul-crushing.  Maybe I've been a coward all this time, but I sincerely did not want to risk tarnishing the beauty of what we were trying to accomplish in the choir with my tawdry little life and other interests.

It got hairy when I evolved, through my preparations for our choir trip to Rome, into a more traditionally-minded Catholic.  Suddenly, I was at odds with our more liberal-minded parish priest, and liberal-minded youth ministers, but equally suddenly found myself embraced by a wonderful community of traditional-musicians and liturgists and I kept saying "I'm just in it for the music and aesthetics" while trying to keep bridges intact to both worlds.  There was constant pressure that I declare a side and be on it or be condemned.  It was super strange.  My goals were really, seriously, all about doing things well and conscientiously bringing the best of me to each new task.

However, it's TIME for being clear and risk all those  
crispy-fried bridges.


I wanted desperately my whole life to be the best servant of God I could be.
I suppose I always will.
Catholic music, aesthetics and parish political life are especially MESSED up.
I am weary of warfare.
I failed, in spite of pouring my life into the war for fifteen years.
I never meant to imply that I would ever become all the things people were demanding I become in order to be loyal to causes within the Church which I never fully understood.
I will declare a side:  Truth, Beauty, and abiding Faith.
Ooops...not really a "side" is it?

PLEASE STOP TRYING TO PIGEON-HOLE ME!
NO ONE CAN EVER LIVE UP TO THAT LEVEL OF EXPECTATION!
YOU ARE JUST DEMANDING FAILURE FROM PEOPLE IF YOU DO!!!!!!

I refuse to comply.
The future is wide open and FREE.
I will play with my children and teach them joy.
I will make friends and costumes and raise a few eyebrows.
I will neither walk away nor run toward.
I will be faithful.

Now, back to your regularly-schedule daily bit of sarcastic fun from the Catastrophic Carleigh.


4 comments:

  1. This is something I still wish I could do - you have my admiration and prayers that you're able to continue on this path because in the end I think it's the only way to wholeness and happiness. Public personas are exhausting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was awful. Not because I'm that different, really, but I'm way more complex than the persona allowed. For the choir, and to be a good leader, I had to shed a lot of natural laziness and fear and do a great many things which were WAY out of my comfort zone on a regular basis and appear like it was all normal and easy so no one would run away. That was the worst part. Always being out of my comfort zone. A little of that is good. All the time? Not so good. *blech*

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've always thought of you as the true and faithful Catholic that you are. We all have many sides to our personalities - and yours are quite interesting to me!

    ReplyDelete