Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Misfortunate Advertising

There is something unfortunate about this ad...  I've been stuck on it for a few days now and the more thought I cannot escape devoting to what's wrong with it, the more things leap to mind, but maybe the good folk at Subaru might not have said "she grew up in the back seat of my Subaru" as the child turns into a middle schooler... *shrug*

But the point is well taken.  You see, my usual Wednesdays have been like this:

Step one: drive 35 minutes to work to do two or so hours of choir prep.

Step two: drive 35 minutes back to the burbs, grab some lunch fast.

Step three: get in the %$%#% car rider line with the psychomoms who insist on getting there an HOUR early so they can get their overscheduled children to whatever activity is the most important thing in the WORLD today....(So why am I there, you ask?  I have no choice in the matter, because my son is brought out by an aide ten minutes before the rest of the children and I have to be in the front of the line so they can put him in my car and apparently the wisdom of doing this in the FRONT of the school where there isn't a line of overachieving psychomoms didn't sink in to the powers that be, but that's another rant for another day....)

Step four:  help my son do his OT, feed him something so he doesn't go boom at choir.

Step five: drive 35 minutes back to work, do choir rehearsal for an hour.

Step six: drive, and I'm not kidding here, 1 hour and ten minutes to get home again.

So it goes for my son, who has taken to listening to opera while we drive, opera scores in hand, reading and singing every note, every phrase, in whatever language the opera is in that he has chosen for this week, and the sad thing is it only takes TWO days for the Mikado.  The only time he listens to opera is in the car.  Don Giovanni only took a week.  That's just way too much car time, and we don't even DO anything anymore.

So, hat's off to Subaru!  Good for your ad team, reminding us that our children are definitely "growing up" in our cars.  *sigh* 


PS---It's GOOD not to work on Wednesdays anymore.  Not unhappy about THAT in the least.  :)

2 comments:

  1. Huh. I did buy a Subaru when I found out I was pregnant, but I can assure you she didn't say her first word in it.

    I hope she has fond memories of all the cool places we go in it though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The joy of life in the modern world. :) I hope da Creature does, too. It's the only place he gets to listen to opera, which is what he'll remember most, seeing as how you cannot get him to look out the windows to SAVE YOUR LIFE. (lol)

    ReplyDelete